At Passenger we build technology for good and we are seeking a like minded Senior PHP Engineer who is looking to deliver a positive impact on the world around us.
In this role you will maintain and evolve core systems that support our entire product eco system, using technology to power and inform responsible and sustainable mobility choices for both our bus operators and their passengers.
This role joins an existing team of talented engineers who are seeking a colleague with a can do attitude, professional dexterity and a demonstrable ability.
You will be working on the Symfony framework which lives comfortably on AWS and as part of the team you will help plan, deliver and improve complex systems and solve interesting challenges.
Who you are
A hands on problem solver, you live up to the principles of engineering, providing a pragmatic and scientific approach to everything you do, balanced with commercial awareness and a deep desire to bake quality into the core of your projects. Even better, you help teach others to do it too and share knowledge continuously, always whilst considering the user journey in your design.
Aligning with our company values, you act with integrity and courage by seeking to make the right decision even when no one is looking and have a hunger for knowledge, seeking to constantly improve yourself and those around you.
The key responsibilities are
- Maintaining, enhancing and delivering change to products.
- Helping to plan what you and the team are working on.
- Capturing requirements and design solutions to product and technical problems.
- Building new microservices from scratch, following set standards.
- Giving and receiving PHP code feedback to other engineers in pull requests.
- Tactfully challenging decisions from others.
- Documenting system behaviour and implementations.
- Championing for product value in the long term, rather than quick wins.
- Helping evolve technical standards and processes with leadership and influence.
- Working with non-engineering teams, providing a technical perspective.
- Using security best practice at all times.
- Unit testing where applicable.
- Effectively managing technical debt, quashing bugs and refactoring code.
- Joining the Out of Hours team who are responsible for providing support for urgent help desk requests.
Experience and skills we need
- Use of modern PHP and frameworks like Symfony (or similar).
- Experience integrating with payment gateways e.g. Stripe.
- Creating semantic APIs that avoid the need for backward compatibility breaks.
- Using cloud IaaS, like compute, storage and queues (on AWS, GCP or Azure).
- Senior leadership and influence.
Experience is key, but just as important to us is you as an individual, so we look for behaviour’s that complement and reflect our own, such as being;
- Analytical and approachable - using data, research and experience to build the best solutions for our team, customers and users.
- Responsive and diligent - responding to the real-world needs of our team, customers and users - going the extra mile to help them seize opportunities.
- Agile and inclusive – adapting to ever-changing circumstances and bringing our team, customers and users on the journey with you.
- Strategic and adventurous - iterating to create innovative solutions based on insight, never rash or paralyzed by complexity.
- Thought provoking and straight talking – expressing your unique thoughts and insights, sharing knowledge openly and in a way that is accessible.
What we offer
- The opportunity to work in technology for good and to help build a future where sustainable, shared transport comes first.
- The opportunity to work remotely and/or join us at our friendly HQ in Bournemouth with fantastic facilities including showers, bike storage, snacks and refreshments.
- Adventure budgets to do fun things, based on length of service.
- Company-sponsored lunches, away days, and celebrations.
- Colleagues and managers who support you to be the best you can be with quarterly reviews, structured CPD and a dedicated training budget to help you grow as a person and progress within the company (the Senior PHP Engineer role provides a good foundation for career progression to Team Lead, Staff Engineer or Principle Engineer).
- Optional private medical health care through Bupa for yourself & your family.
- Budget to purchase a fitness tracker of your choice.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Employee referral scheme.
- Funds to purchase optical wear and medical vaccinations.
- Cash rewards towards an adventure of your choosing with length of service.
- A pension scheme that increases with length of service.
- EMI Share options which increase with length of service.
- Holiday entitlement which increases with length of service.
This role requires an annual basic background (DBS) check due to data access of vulnerable groups (children, disabled adults, the elderly).
Passenger are an equal opportunities employer